Saturday, August 2, 2008

#19.1 Week 8 - Digital Pipeline

I created an alert for SLJ because I took it off my subscription list.... we'll see if I actually use it in electronic format.

Took me a few tries to find a pamphlet. Aids/HIV was successful and results also had a pamphlet on steroids.

I had a harder time finding a movie... I even looked in the help menu and the search screen they show with an option for videos isn't in the health database. I did find images and diagrams galore.

I like the thumbnails of the images and links at the left column to help modify your search.

I used the small engine database this summer and got a manual for my lawn mower engine so I could change the pull cord. This job is not as easy as it sounds! I needed a new spring and brought my printed diagrams into the shop so they could find the spring. It all worked in the end.

As far as using with students and teachers I will try again to get the one health teacher in there.. It is good stuff!

Getting teachers to utilize the online databases,specifically journals, can be quite a challenge. Part of the difficulty is that journal articles don't display information like web pages and all involved get frustrated trying to find "facts." So you have to find a reason to use the type of content in a journal article.

One way to expose students to the databases is after a unit of study when students have some understanding of the topic. Students can generate questions as they study the unit then research their questions; or I steer teachers to journals when considering these questions hoping to deepen students understanding an make connections to real life:
--What is currently happening in the field of study? (chemistry, geology, environment...)
--What are experts in this field studying/doing?
--How is this issue/topic impacting society today?

No comments:

ShareThis