Monday, August 4, 2008

Ch 7 - Online Safety and Security

Web 2.0- New Tools, New Schools by Gwen Solomon and Lynne Schrum.

This chapter covers many aspects of these issues and gives some good resources. There are suggestions for teaching, surveys, and policies. Mat-Su district has policies that are used, so I will take some of the suggestions for redefining acceptable use policies to them. I usually help teachers to write custom permission slips for projects where students will be publishing on the web and have students and parents sign them. I can see now that these web based projects are becoming more popular the district policy needs to address this too, because not all teachers think about permission or choices in web publishing. I see it more as keeping parents informed because I want them to know that I care about student safety, and that I have taken the steps needed to keep students safe yet help them publish their work.

On page 149 is a list of restrictions/questions posted by administrators. This is a good list both for us to consider, and to share with administrators who may not have enough personal knowledge or experience to know what to look out for.

Finally, I never thought to look at MySpace for their safety policies. I learned that they have a page for parents and users on safety tips. This will join my list of references that I share with teachers and students.

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

ASD is in the process of updating our internet policies and one of the big things that we are wrestling with is the safety issues and the responsibility issues. We need to take reasonable precautions to keep kids safe, but I think that more than that we HAVE to teach them how to be safe because they aren't always with us.

Ann

ShareThis