Friday, July 25, 2008

#15 Week 6

Library 2.0

Interesting series of articles from OCLC. I am always fascinated when I read these kind of articles... the ones where our future is painted for us. I rarely really disagree I just can't imagine getting a fraction of what they are saying accomplished. Imagine working in a public or academic library where you actually have time to work on things during your work day. anyway.

I do appreciate this comment by Rick Anderson in the Iceberg piece:

The “just in case” collection Crazy as this may sound, the time has come for us to look skeptically at the very idea of a library “collection.”

I have not "developed" a collection in a traditional sense maybe ever. Now especially I am very careful where I put money for resources, and am trying to expand formats and delivery. It's not easy though.

In the "new world" article Michael Stephens makes a couple of points relevant to me... One I have to tell myself all the time...

This librarian does not create policies and procedures that impede users’ access to the library.
You know how it's so easy to just make a bunch of rules at school? I find myself doing that and then realize it is ridiculous!

While all of Michael's points are worth considering the other that sticks with me is about content...
Librarian 2.0 gets content This librarian understands that the future of libraries will be guided by how users access, consume and create content. Content is a conversation as well and librarians should participate. Users will create their own mash ups, remixes and original expressions and should be able to do so at the library or via the library’s resources. This librarian will help users become their own programming director for all of the content available to them.
We at least need to know a variety of ways to create and make content accessible. This is the big important part of knowing Web 2.0 , and Alaska librarians are right here- using it!

Chip Nigel's ways to cooperate sound great for OCLC and I'm impressed that they are going "Open" - I look forward to see where that goes. I think they are looking at google book...

I probably won't be alive to see library 4.0, but it sure sounds cool!

For Web 2.0 I'm in the recognizing "key emerging technologies" phase as noted in the Horizon Report. such as
Grassroots Video, collaboration webs, mashups, collective intelligence and the whole social system thing. This report is a bit academic in application but I think we can take a bit of the purpose and run with it. Being in a place to help students know about and use these tools... and being in a place to convince teachers that it is ok for students to use these tools for school work-- is where I'm at. I just love all the possibilities.

2 comments:

Ann said...

That idea of not putting up road blocks is so important. It is really taking a step outside of the comfort zone for many of us.

Ann

Beach Dreamer said...

I agree to stepping out of our comfort zone but the ease of most of these tools will make that possible. What about the parents and the home learning environment, I wonder if it will be easy to get parents to guide their child's learning process at home and watch what their child is doing while on the computer.

ShareThis