Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week 4 - #8 RSS

Well, I could say that I have used RSS for a few years and that would be true, but the definition of 'used' would be more like occasional. It seems to come back on my radar in the summer when I feel like I have time, but wait, RSS is supposed to save time too!

I am sure that I can use it effectively at work, but I tend to use if for more professional development type reading for myself. I tried some of the reading review blogs, so we'll see how those turn out.

So here's my current blogroll.

Now I would like to show a teacher how to use RSS and blogs with students. Then this technology has a whole different meaning besides just reading stuff out there. I do love seeing all the different ideas on how to use RSS and readers. I did use the reader when I was getting ready to go to China last year. I was able to gather news easily, and now I still browse through the China news section, but I don't have to read it all.

Some of the teachers at Colony Middle have been using Moodle for writing with students. I have Moodle has RSS, but I'm not sure if it would be easier for them to use RSS then to just check Moodle. I'll have to take a look at that when we get back to school.

We've got teachers doing moodle and podcasts and it's hard to work on too many new things. If it saves them time and works into existing projects they might try it.

OK- I could try teaching a special group of students how to setup RSS feeds and use that for some research.... OR I can use RSS to put new articles on a wiki or library page for students to access. They would still have to know how it works. Still mulling these ideas over. I know there is a lot being done, but there has to be just the right project to start out on....


As mentioned in week three thing #7 I want to try using RSS to post to my school homepage and my library page. I can setup a blog to do the school news and the secretary can just post to the blog and it will show up on the school web site. I think this will be handy.

I can't imagine trying to review 900 some entries a day as the Shifted Librarian mentions in her Google gears post.
Google Gears does sound like a great tool for someone who commutes on a train or doesn't have a connection at home... and does have a laptop. That might just be handy for some rural Alaska folks to try out.

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

I have to admit that RSS Has been a fantastic tool for keeping track of the class blogs. There is no way I would be able to keep up otherwise.

I think the idea of setting up a blog for the secretary to feed directly to the website is inspired. So much less time than trying to daisy chain it through 2 or 3 people.

Ann

ShareThis